Cementing The Seams

The Plot Sickens

     


On the list of albums that I foresee being on my “best of 2009” list, Shelflife is the first. A mix of math-rock and instrumental post-rock, Shelflife’s self-titled debut is a monument of both genres. One of my more embarrassing musical admissions is this: I don’t really like instrumental music. This is strange for two reasons: one, I don’t pay particular attention to lyrics, in fact they’re one of the last things I listen to. Two, I appreciate certain music almost exclusively for its composition (e.g. most of the screamo genre, although maybe this is a bad example). Also it’s pretty much just plain silly, but I digress. Shelflife are from Denmark and they play damn smart and only most of their record is instrumental. Oh AND they’re giving it away for free. Here. Shelflife meets somewhere on the sonic road somewhere between post-rock poster boys Explosions In The Sky and mathy (I really misuse this descriptor) emo bands like Seattle’s Juno, or DC wackos Smart Went Crazy. Do them and yourself a favor, download their album and give it a listen. Plus with song titles like “My Several Experiences With Genies” and “Infinite Landscapes of Pillows and Blankets” how could you go wrong.

For Fans of: Explosions In The Sky, Juno

Download

0 comments:

Post a Comment