Cementing The Seams

The Plot Sickens

     

Youtube is a blessing and a curse. I won't get into the reasons but we all know it's true. Anywho, one of the best things about youtube is finding random live videos of your favorite bands performing, right? Occasionally I run into a video on youtube that makes me wish I was there. When I do, I'll put 'em up and tell you why. So, here's the first installment of the Best of Youtube Live:



The YMD Performing "Yah Mos Def is a Gang" in Philadelphia.

The run-down:
The YMD are an unconventional 2 piece hip-hop act from Philadelphia. Their acronymous name stands for The Yah Mos Def, a contraction Sacramento hardcore act The Yah Mos and seminal rapper-turned-actor Mos Def. Legal trouble with afformentined rapper caused the official change to The YMD. In 2008 they released their first official full length "Excuse Me, This Is The Yah Mos Def". The YMD are kids who grew up on east coast hardcore that opted for hip-hop as a means of expression. I suppose this makes them something (read: exactly) like the Beastie Boys. Thus, their songs are littered with references to hardcore, emo and punk acts (references to Fugazi and Floorpunch can be heard in the video along with some I probably don't understand). It makes for a pretty interesting listening experience. Don't be confused though, the lyrics may be of an unconventional subject matter, but sonically, the YMD are a hip-hop act through and through.

Why this video is awesome:
The seems completely familiar and totally alien at the same time. The band is freaking out, full of energy and the crowd has no idea what to make of it. The YMD brings hardcore to a pretty pure incarnation of hip-hop music. Everything seems completely out of place and harmonious at the same time. I hope I get to see something like this ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment